Believed to be early Norman this ruined church now sits within the raised mound that surrounds the castle. Earlier in date than the church of St .Lawrence at first glance might suggest a late Saxon church. It is most likely the early church was still in use during the construction of the castle as some of the ramparts were not completed until after construction of the castle. It would be reasonable to assume there would have been a place of worship during the transition of these two churches. Domesday suggest a thriving village here before 1086 therefore we can also assume there was a Saxon church of wooden construction here during this period which may have have an association with the suggested Saxon well within meters of the ruined church.